What Is SEO? Search Engine Optimization For Local Businesses
A lot of people are talking about SEO and search engine optimization. But, what is SEO, exactly?
1. SEO, or search engine optimization is a way for you to get found by your customers online.
When you have a business you need to advertise to get new customers. In addition to traditional places to advertise, the Internet has grown into a major source of leads and sales for local businesses.
2. The main way to get sales leads from the Internet is to create a website that explains something about you and your company.
Many businesses have spent a lot of money on elaborate websites designed to establish their brand. That’s a good start, but they have not considered that potential customers will never see their website. This is why many businesses have become disappointed with relying on the Internet to deliver customers.
Once you have a website, you have to make sure your potential clients see it.
The activities needed to make sure potential buyers see your website is called SEO, or search engine optimization.
3. When you make a website and upload it to the Internet no one knows about it. There are two main ways to attract people to your website. One is offline or online advertising and the other is SEO, or search engine optimization.
4. Search Engine Optimization or SEO is normally not considered a form of advertising, but it should be.
The reason people don’t consider SEO as advertising is because, in many cases (not all cases), Google will somehow find out about your website once it has been uploaded to the Internet. In some cases, when people do a search online, your website will show up even if you haven’t done anything to promote it. Google gives many websites a free listing on their search engine results page.
5. The reason SEO, search engine optimization should be considered as advertising is because if you do it right, you can get a lot of laser targeted, qualified buyer traffic to your website.
The listing is still free because Google doesn’t charge anything to give your site better exposure. However, it takes a lot of work, planning and strategizing to get a top placement on Google.
Somebody has to do all that work so usually it’s best to hire that person, since you are busy running your business.
Hiring someone to do your SEO work is the best investment you could make in terms of marketing, assuming you hire the right person for the job.
6. If you hire the right person they will get your website will show up on the first page of Google search results when your customers are looking to buy your products and services.
Most people won’t go past the first page of Google’s search results so it’s important to be there. The problem is that Google only has ten listings on the first page. If there are a hundred businesses like yours in the area, a maximum of ten of them will be on the first page of Google. 90 of them will get almost no traffic to their website.
7. In order to be on the first page of Google’s search results you have to do several different things. This is called SEO, search engine optimization.
8. There are two main types of SEO. The first is on-page SEO.
Google needs some help in identifying what your website is about so it can list it at the top of their search results at the right time.
Using your website to communicate with Google to explain what you do is on-page SEO.
9. Off-site SEO is when you set up cues for Google on other people’s websites.
In addition to words and computer code on your website, Google looks around the Internet to see what others are saying about you.
SEO companies that provide off-site search engine optimization provide hundreds and thousands of “links” on other people’s websites that point to your website
When Google sees this they look at what type of websites are talking about you, how important they are on the Internet and compare it with what your website is about. Based on their analysis they come to the conclusion about what your website is really about.
10. Convincing Google that your website is THE authoritative website that searchers are looking for is what good SEO is all about.
11. When you have done a good job of on-line and off-line SEO Google will open the doors wide open and send a flood of qualified buyers to your website.
This is the ultimate goal of SEO, search engine optimization. If you can achieve this, it’s the cheapest and most effective advertising you will ever do!
For more information on SEO and to set up a powerful SEO campaign for your business Call NOW 403-620-8902.